Friday, August 24, 2018

Purple Pesto # 2; Guinness Stout Ice Cream; Asian Dish – Lo Mein Noodles with Hoisin Meatballs.

Post date: 24 August 2018

 
With this week being the third anniversary of my ascent of Mt. Fuji, I thought I would start off this post with a photo I took from the summit as the sun rises, a truly thrilling experience.
 
The latest installment of my Summer 2018 Ice Cream Project is a Guinness Stout Ice Cream.  With my abundance of purple basil, I made another purple pesto, this time with oregano added.  I also tried a new Asian dish, Lo Mein with Hoisin Meatballs 
 
 
Stout Ice Cream
 
I continued my Summer 2018 Ice Cream Project with a batch of Guinness Stout Ice Cream.  One of the best things about this recipe is that you get to drink the stout you do not use in the ice cream.
 
I found the recipe on the Saveur magazine website, which is based on a recipe from the I-Scream shop in Kingston, Jamaica.  The recipe recommends using Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, which I had never heard of before.  However, I found it right next to the regular Guinness at the package store. The ingredients are quite simple: stout, sugar, kosher salt, egg yolks, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.  The results looks like coffee ice cream, so your taste buds are in for a surprise after this setup.  Link to recipe is below.
 
 

 
 
Purple Pesto # 2
 
As I mentioned in my last post, I had oregano growing next to my purple basil plants, so this week I followed through on my idea of adding oregano leaves to the basil in the food processor.  I used 1 cup of basil leaves to ½ cup of oregano.  I served it with spaghetti and blanched broccoli, and it was quite good.  I also have a spicy oregano plant in my garden, so next week I will try the recipe again with this type of oregano.
 
Lo Mein Noodles with Hoisin Meatballs
 
 
I found this recipe in the summer issue of Food Network Magazine and it sounded delicious so I decided to try it.  Link to the recipe is below.
In a quick glance the dish may appear to be a version of meatballs with fettuccine, but the taste is definitely Asian.  You use 2 tablespoons of Hoisin sauce in the meatballs.  For the next time I am thinking of kicking their taste up a bit by using 1 tablespoon of Hoisin and 1 tablespoon of Thai Chili Sauce.
 
 
 
Reminder – Instagam
 
Follow me on Instagram at #senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts, culinary and otherwise.
 
Upcoming Classes
 
Here is my schedule for the fall term.
 
September 26 and October 3 – Wednesday Evening – Up Your Tailgate Game – Plum Center
 
October 12, 19, and 26 – Friday Evening – Cooking Basics 101 – Plum Center
 
November 10 – Saturday Morning – Holiday in Sicily – Plum Center
 
November 27, December 4 and 11 – Tuesday Evenings - Easy Gourmet Meals/One Step Further – Plum Center
 
To register for these classes, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:
 
 
While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.
 
Till next time, keep cooking.
 
Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu                          
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment