Wednesday, August 8, 2018

ACE Classes – Cooking Basics 101 for Young Adults concludes; My Fall ACE Schedule now available; Sumi-e Birthday Cake

Post Date: 8 August 2018

 
The above picture has nothing really to do with food; it is a photo of a cool art installation I saw yesterday at the Sackler Museum in Washington, DC, entitled Terminal by Subodh Gupta.
 
Now that my classes are over for the summer, it’s back to my Summer 2018 Ice Cream Project.  Next up is a Mint Ice Cream made with fresh mint from my garden, followed, hopefully, by a Guinness Stout Ice Cream.  I will also be getting together recipes for my first fall class, “Up Your Tailgate Game,” in September.
 
ACE Class – Cooking Basics for Young Adults Concludes
 
As we have been doing for the last few summers, we compressed the Basics 101 class into 3 consecutive days instead of spreading it out over 3 weeks. It is a bit intense doing it over 3 straight days, but we had a lot of fun and everyone’s dishes came out very well.  Our main courses were Pan Fried Chicken Italiano, Baked Salmon with Mustard, and Salisbury Steaks.  In the fall we will be back to the usual 3 week run for this class.
 
Pictured above is the first session’s menu – Provençale Salad, Pan Fried Chicken Italiano with Blanched Broccoli, and Blueberry Ricotta Parfait.  Below is from session 3 - Caprese Salad, Salisbury Steak with Sautéed Soy Sesame Asparagus, and Lemon Olive Oil Pound Cake.
 

My Upcoming Fall ACE Classes
 
ACE has released the fall catalogue.  I have 4 classes on the schedule from September through December: Cooking Basics 101; Easy Gourmet Meals; Holiday in Sicily; and Up Your Tailgate Game, recipes perfect for the parking lot or family room, wherever you choose to watch.  Date, times, and locations of these classes are listed below.
 
Sumi-e Style Birthday Cake
 

I baked a cake for my mother-in-law’s birthday last Saturday.  Since she used to do the Japanese Sumi-e painting and I am currently taking classes in the medium, I decided to decorate one in the Sumi-e style (picture above).  The cake was a vanilla cake with the icing made from butter, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla extract, a bit of milk, and food coloring.  The picture represents “Diamond Fuji,” when the sun is directly over the crater so that it looks like a diamond in a setting.  The branches have plum blossoms, which bloom in February.
 
Reminder – Instagam
Follow me on Instagram at #senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts, culinary and otherwise.


 
Upcoming Classes
 
Here is my schedule for the fall term.
 
September 26 and October 3 – Wednesday Evening – Up Your Tailgate Game – Plum Center
 
October 12, 19, and 26 – Friday Evening – Cooking Basics 101 – Plum Center
 
November 10 – Saturday Morning – Holiday in Sicily – Plum Center
 
November 27, December 4 and 11 – Tuesday Evenings - Easy Gourmet Meals/One Step Further – Plum Center
 
To register for these classes, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:
 
http://www.fcps.edu/is/ace/


While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.
 

 
Till next time, keep cooking.
Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu                          
 
 


 

 

 






 




 
 
 




 






 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment