Thursday, July 19, 2018

Upcoming ACE Class – Summer Soups; Chicken and Peach Personal Pizzas; Ginger Ice Cream

Post Date: 19 July 2018


Upcoming ACE Class – Summer Soups


The class meets on Saturday mornings July 21 and 28.  Session 1 meets at Woodson High School and Session 2 meets at the Plum Center, 10 AM both days.  In the first session we will make both a cold and warm soup.  The cold one will be a Honeydew Melon and Blueberry Soup (pictured above).  For our warm soup (pictured below) we will be making Courgette (Zucchini) Soup which I learned from my friend Christine Blight in Provence last summer.  We add soft cheese at the end of the process to create a velvet (veloute) texture.


Chicken and Peach Personal Pizzas



I saw this recipe in the August 2018 issue of Cooking Light Magazine and it seemed so out of the ordinary that I had to try it.  The recipe calls for purchasing rotisserie chicken, but instead I bought and a couple of chicken breasts and cooked them earlier in the afternoon.  The peaches were not quite ripe, but they came out fine.  I added some yellow squash as additional topping on the ricotta/lemon zest base.  A drizzle of balsamic vinegar when serving was just the right touch.

Link to the recipe is below.

 
 
 
Summer 2018 Ice Cream Project Continues – Ginger Ice Cream
 
 

This week’s installment of my Summer 2018 Ice Cream Project was Ginger.  I had a few recipes in my files, but I selected this one that used fresh ginger root rather than ginger powder.  The ginger is peeled then roughly chopped, placed in a pot with heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract, then boiled to extract the ginger flavor.  After boiling the mixture is combined with sugar and eggs, then left to cool before going into the ice cream maker.  I was afraid that the ginger flavor might be too strong, out it turned out to be subtle.
 
 
 
Reminder – Instagam
 
Follow me on Instagram at #senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts, culinary and otherwise.
Upcoming Classes
Here is my schedule for the rest of the summer term.
 
August 1, 2, and 3 – Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday Evening – Cooking Basics for Young Adults – Plum Center

August 8 and 15 – Wednesday Evening – Japanese Cooking in Your American Kitchen v2.0 – Plum Center
To register for these classes, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:
 
While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.
 
Till next time, keep cooking.
 
Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu                          
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment