Wednesday, June 27, 2018

ACE Class – Dolci Italiani/Italian Desserts II Concludes; Upcoming ACE Classes; Japanese Beef and Green Pepper Stir Fry; Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes

Post Date: 27 June 2018

 
Well, now it is officially summer.  In keeping with the season, I continued my Summer 2018 Ice Cream Project by making a batch of Bourbon Ice Cream (pictured above).  It is nice and sweet, with 5 tablespoons of Bourbon. For Japanese cuisine, I made a Beef and Green Pepper Stir fry, discussed below.  Next up is planning the July 4th party.  Right now I’m thinking about Hamburgers with a Japanese riff.
ACE Class – Dolci Italiani II/Italian Desserts Concludes
 
 
In our first session last Saturday we made Strawberry Tiramisu (pictured above) and Le Bisse, S-shaped cookies from Venice.  This week we will begin by making Ricotta Cheese, then a Ricotta Cheese Cake (pictured below).  We will also be making 2 kinds of biscotti.  We will then use the Ricotta Cheese we make to do some Cannoli.
 
Upcoming ACE Classes
 
I have 2 ACE classes on my July calendar.  On Friday evenings July 13, 20, and 27 I will be teaching Cooking Basics 101.  And on Saturday mornings July 21 and 28 I will be doing Summer Soups.  This class will feature both cold and warm soups. Both classes are at the Plum Center in Springfield.
 
 Japanese Stir Fry
 

 
I got this recipe from the food section of the NHK website, Japanese public broadcasting.  What first appealed to me was that it had just a few basic ingredients, beef, green bell peppers, and onion, cooked in vegetable oil.  The sauce is made with sake, soy sauce, sugar and pepper.  I served it with Jasmine rice.  The end result was rather bland, so next time I plan to spice it up with salt and some Togarashi, spicy Japanese red pepper.  Link to recipe is below.





Sheet Pan Chicken and Potatoes with Green Beans

 
I got this recipe from the June 2018 Real Simple magazine, where I have found a lot of good recipes lately.  This is a nice summer one.  The chicken and red potatoes are done in the oven, while the green beans are blanched on the stove top. A sauce is made with Shallots, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Pepper and Castelvetrano Olives, which were new to me, and have become my favorite olive.  I bought a jar of them for the recipe, but later a friend told me that the olive bar at Whole Foods has them pitted.  They are also great in salads.  The link to the recipe is below.
 
https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/sheet-pan-chicken-with-potatoes-and-green-beans


Reminder – Instagam

Follow me on Instagram at #senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts, culinary and otherwise.
 
 
Upcoming Classes





Here is my schedule for the rest of the summer term.

 

July 7, 13, and 20 – Friday Evening – Cooking Basics 101 – Plum Center

 

July 21 and 28 – Saturday Morning – Summer Soups - Plum Center

 

August 1, 2, and 3 – Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday Evening – Cooking Basics for Young Adults – Plum Center

 

August 8 and 15 – Wednesday Evening – Japanese Cooking in Your American Kitchen v2.0 – Plum Center

 

To register for these classes, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:

 


 

While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.

 

Till next time, keep cooking.

 

Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu                          



 

 




 






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment