Thursday, March 16, 2017

Cooking Basics 101 continues on March 18; Japanese Dinners; Orange Cake

Post Date: 16 March 2017


I hope everyone got through the blizzard of 2017 in good shape.  I guess it was too much to expect to get through the winter completely unscathed by weather.  I have been trying some more Japanese recipes, two of which are discussed below.


Cooking Basics 101 at Lake Braddock continues This Weekend
 
                                                           
                                                         Baked Salmon
 
The second session of this class meets this Saturday morning, March 18, at 10:00 AM.  We will be making a French Vinaigrette with Salad Greens, Baked Salmon with Mustard and Panko Bread Crumbs, and a no bake dessert with Strawberries and Marscapone Cheese.  We will also be discussing how long to keep spices, different types of salt, and what really makes a vinaigrette. 
 
 
Japanese Dinners
 
 
Beef Teriyaki
I have been continuing my foray into Japanese cuisine with recipes from the NHK website, Japanese Public Broadcasting.  I recently made 2 beef recipes, a Beef Teriyaki and a Beef and Tomato Curry.  In both of them I went a little outside the box and served them on top of quinoa instead of rice.  For the Teriyaki, I used stew meat and cut the cubes up into smaller pieces.  For the Curry, I used ground beef.
 
 
                                                              Beef Curry
 
For the Curry (pictured above), I cooked the broccoli for 4 minutes in boiling water, then immersed them in an ice bath while the curry was prepared.  At the end I added the broccoli to the skillet to finish them off.  Their vibrant green color also helped make a nice presentation of the dish.  I hope to offer a Japanese cooking class on the A.C.E. calendar in the upcoming fall or winter terms.
Here is the link to the NHK website’s food section:
 
 
Orange Cake
 
This is truly a wonderful and delicious cake.  I learned to make it from Chef Patrice Olivon’s online cooking show, Cooking Live. (www.cooking-live.com). Pictured above is the cake when it came out of the oven.  I put confectioner’s sugar on when serving.  The recipe calls for 14 tablespoons of butter (yes, that is not a typo), 1 ¾ cups of confectioner’s sugar in the batter, 3 eggs, and the juice of 2 oranges as the main ingredients.  I am considering making this cake as the dessert in the third session of my current Cooking Basics 101 class on March 25.
Reminder – Instagam
Follow me on Instagram at #senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts, culinary and otherwise.
 
Upcoming Classes
Here are my classes for the spring term. 
April 8, 22, and 29 – Saturday Morning – Cooking Basics 101 – Lake Braddock Secondary School
May 4 – Thursday Evening – Introduction to Middle Eastern Cooking – Plum Center
May 31 – Wednesday Evening – Stuffed Jumbo Shells – Plum Center
June 3 – Saturday Morning – Beach House Brunch v2.0 – Plum Center
To register for this class, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:
While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.
Till next time, keep cooking.
Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu                          
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment