Saturday, December 17, 2016

A.C.E. Class Quick Weeknight Dinners Class concludes; Miso Soup; Spiced Pork Chops with Maple Flavored Greens

Post Date: 17 December 2016


Happy Holidays

I hope everyone has a great holiday season and that all your cooking ventures are successful.
 
Quick Weeknight Dinners
 
The third and final session of this class meets this coming Tuesday, December 20, at 6:30 PM at the Plum Center in Springfield.   This week we will make the dish pictured above, Salmon with a Soy Honey Glaze, Curry Shrimp with Sautéed Vegetables, and Roasted Broccoli with either Sesame Oil or Balsamic Vinegar.
 
Making Miso Soup
 
In my last post I discussed making Dashi, the Japanese fish stock used as the basis for Miso Soup.  This week I used the Dashi to make a basic Miso Soup using red Miso Paste, Tofu, and Scallions.  I good some very good feedback so I will definitely be including this in my Soups and Stews class at the end of January.  I will take it up a notch by also including vegetables or meat.
 
Spiced Pork Chops with Maple Flavored Greens
 
I found this recipe in the December 2016 Food Network Magazine, and since I had a couple of nice Pork Chops I decided to try it out.  The pork chops were quite thick, so I butterflied then, then seasoned them with Paprika, Coriander, Salt, and Pepper.  For the greens I used Baby Spinach.  The recipe also calls for a sliced Onion, Maple Syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, and White Beans.  When I told my wife Teresa what was in the dish she said, “So, basically, it’s Pork and Beans."
 
Here is the link:
 
 
Reminder – Instagam
Follow me on Instagram at #senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts, culinary and otherwise.
Upcoming Classes
Here are my classes for the rest of the winter term. 
January 22, 29 – Sunday Afternoon – Soup and Stew for a Snowy Day – Plum Center
February 3, 10 – Friday Evening - Just Desserts – Plum Center
February 23 – Thursday Evening – Introduction to Middle Eastern Cooking – Plum Center
February 25 – Saturday Morning – Dinner in Normandy – Plum Center
March 4, 11, 18 – Saturday Morning – Cooking Basics 101 – Lake Braddock Secondary School
March 10 – Friday Evening – Introduction to Middle Eastern Cooking – Plum Center
 
To register for this class, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:
http://www.fcps.edu/is/ace/specialinterest.shtml and scroll down to the Culinary section
While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.
Till next time, keep cooking.
Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu                          
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment