Thursday, December 10, 2015

More Himalayan Salt Block Cooking, Some New Recipes

Post Date: 10 December 2015



More Himalayan Salt Block Cooking



In the last post I described cooking pork chops on my Himalayan salt blocks.  Last Sunday I used them again to cook eye round steaks and zucchini (see pictures above).  For the steaks I first marinated them in olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic salt and pepper.  I cooked them first, then placed them in a warming oven while the zucchini cooked.  I used a mandolin to slice them into long strips, but I made them a bit too thin, so next time I’ll set the mandolin to cut thicker slices or do them by hand.   However, on a positive note, the steaks were excellent, with the marinade giving them a nice flavor.
 
New Recipes
With my busy teaching schedule this fall and our preparations for Thanksgiving, I did not have time to try new recipes. However, in the lull now between Christmas and New Year’s, I’ve had some time to look through the cooking magazines I subscribe to and found some recipes to try.
 
The first was Lemon Chicken with Butternut Squash (above) from Food Network Magazine (link below).  It was fairly easy to make and tasted delicious.  The squash is peeled and cut into cubes, then mixed with lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper and roasted at 450 degrees.  The chicken is first salted and peppered, then fried in an oven proof skillet on just one side.  You flip them, then finish off in the 450 degree oven for 5-7 minutes.  I timed things so that when the squash was done I took it from the oven and let it sit in the warming oven while I placed the chicken in the oven.  When done, the chicken goes back on the stove and garlic, oregano, and lemon juice are added to the skillet.  You cook it for a minute or two, spooning the juice over the chicken.  Here is the link to the recipe:
 
The other new recipe I tried was a Baked Lemon Tilapia (above) with a mayonnaise and panko crust, also from Food Network Magazine (link below).  The recipe called for serving the fish with an Apple-Beet Salad, but as the picture above shows I opted for green beans instead and had a spinach salad on the side.  The recipe calls for either Tilapia or perch; I used Tilapia.  To prepare the fish, in one shallow bowl you mix salt and pepper, light mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice.  In another you combine panko breadcrumbs (I used Italian Panko), capers, and chopped flat leaf parsley.  You coat just one side of the fish; first through the mayo and lime mixture, then the panko-capers-parsley.  This is a very nice recipe, and the lemon flavor really comes through well and enhances the fish.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/baked-fish-with-apple-beet-salad.html
 
Reminder - Instagam
Follow me on Instagram at #senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts.
Upcoming Classes
Here are my upcoming classes for the winter term.
January 14, 21, and 28 – Thursday Evening – Cooking Basics 101 – Herndon High School
January 23 and 30 – Saturday Morning – Delectable Desserts – Plum Center
February 12, 19, and 26 – Friday Evening – Cooking Basics 101 – Plum Center
March 1, 8, and 15 – Tuesday Evening – Quick Weeknight Dinners – Plum Center
March 4, 11, and 18 – Friday Evening – Cooking Basics: One Step Further – Plum Center
To register for this class, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:
http://www.fcps.edu/is/ace/specialinterest.shtml and scroll down to the Culinary section
While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.
Till next time, keep cooking.
Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu                                                           
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment