Monday, October 19, 2015

Kasbocha Squash, Himalayan Salt Blocks, Next Cooking Basics 101 and Italian Desserts Classes

Post Date: 19 October 2015

Kabocha Squash


Kabocha is an Asian winter squash sometimes referred to as a Japanese pumpkin.  I picked one up last week at Trader Joe’s.  In color it resembles butternut squash.  I used it in 2 dishes.  First, I cut off 2 large slices, removed the seeds, and put crushed red pepper flakes and maple syrup in the cavity and roasted at 350 for 45 minutes.



For the second dish, I peeled a slice, cut it into cubes and sautéed it in olive oil with potatoes, onion, and broccoli, then used the vegetable mix as a filling for a frittata.

Himalayan Salt Blocks


For my birthday earlier this month my kids gave me a set of Himalayan Salt Blocks.  I have never used one before, so I am really looking forward to preparing food with them.  They are very versatile in that they can be heated or chilled, so they can be used for grilling, chilling, or serving.  I have been checking out recipes online, and one claims you can make pizza on it.  I’ll be reporting more on my use of the salt blocks in future posts.

Next Cooking Basics 101 Class – Session 2
The second of three sessions will meet this Wednesday evening, October 21, at 6:30 at McLean High School.  We will be making the chef’s take on a Waldorf Salad, another no bake dessert featuring marscapone cheese and strawberries, and Baked Tilapia with Sautéed Broccoli.

Italian Desserts Class – Session 2
The 2nd  session of this class will be this Sunday afternoon, October 25th, at 12:30 at the Plum Center in Springfield.  We will be making a Lemon Apple Cake, Cannoli, and Chocolate Biscotti.  For the Cannoli, we will be making just the filling; I will be providing the shells.  If time allows, I plan to demonstrate making Ricotta Cheese and will be providing a recipe.

Reminder - Instagam
Follow me on Instagram at #senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts.

Upcoming Classes
The Fall 2015 schedule has been published.  Here is the rest of my fall schedule.

November 8 – Sunday Afternoon – Twilight in Tuscany – Plum Center

November 6, 13, and 20 – Friday Evening - Cooking Basics: One Step Further – Plum Center

December 3, 10, and 17 – Thursday Evening - Cooking Basics 101 – Herndon High School

To register for this class, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:

http://www.fcps.edu/is/ace/specialinterest.shtml and scroll down to the Culinary section

While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.

Till next time, keep cooking.

Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu                                                           

 



No comments:

Post a Comment