Thursday, July 30, 2015

Beef Stir-Fry, Mussels in Spicy Tomato Broth, and Instagram

Post Date: 30 July 2015


My next class in not until Saturday, August 15th, so in this post I will be discussing some dishes I made recently and how you can follow me on Instagram.
 


Beef Stir-fry
I had not made a stir-fry in a very long time.  In fact, my wok was being used to hold food storage containers.  However, when shopping the other day I noticed a package of beef already cut for stir-fry, so I decided to make one.  For a recipe I followed a stir-fry matrix that I had found in a Food Network Magazine a few years ago.  You pick your protein (say beef, fish or chicken), your sauce (spicy, sweet and sour, brown, etc.), and three vegetables.  The constants are garlic, fresh ginger, and scallions.  I made the Brown Sauce, which uses chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and rice wine.  If you have never made stir-fry but would like to try, below is a link to a Food Network site that has a short video to take you through the basics.

 
Mussels in Spicy Tomato Broth



I am planning on serving mussels at a large family gathering this weekend, so I went looking for a good recipe.  The one I used I found in Giada de Laurentis’ Everyday Italian cookbook.  I have provided the link to it below.  I made a few modifications though.  As you can see from the title, her recipe includes clams and shrimp as well as the mussels, whereas I did just the muscles.  For the tomato broth, you use a 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes.  Then the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.  This seemed like an awful lot, especially given the amount of tomatoes, so I cut it down to ½ teaspoon.  Even then, it was quite spicy and may be a bit too much for many palates.  The broth includes 1 cup of dry white wine; I used Pinot Grigio.  I made it for dinner as a practice run and it came out great.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/mussels-clams-and-shrimp-in-spicy-broth-recipe.html

Instagam
I got a new smart phone last week and decided to take the plunge with Instagram.  I’ll be posting pictures of my dishes and other interesting items.  You can follow me at senseichef.  I look forward to your comments on my posts.

Upcoming Classes
Here is the next class I will be teaching for the summer term.  The fall catalogue will be out soon.

August 15 – Saturday Morning – Lunch Along the Mediterranean – Plum Center

To register for this class, or any ACE cooking classes, please go to:
http://www.fcps.edu/is/ace/specialinterest.shtml and scroll down to the Culinary section

While there, be sure to check out the other culinary courses offered by ACE’s excellent chef instructors.
Till next time, keep cooking.

Contact Chef Kevin at: KJBrady@fcps.edu


 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment